Thursday, May 6, 2010

Henry David Thoreau...

If Henry David Thoreau was alive today he'd be 193 and probably a cantankerous old man who would keep saying, 'I told you so' and he'd probably have spent many more days in jail for not paying all the taxes that are due in today's society.
He did however die on May 6, 1862 but not before saying amongst other things, that his goal in life was to live deliberately, to front only the essentials of life and to see if he could learn what it had to teach. And not, when it came time to die, discover that he had not lived!
He also said that most men live lives of quiet desperation... and that success is not what we have but what we can love living without.
Right on Henry...
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Henery looks like my great-grandmother..he does have a better beard! My quiet despration is having a beer..I am a sucess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoopsie...success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, I thought I saw him in Study Butte. . . Course it might have been Frann's Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, the comments crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She gets around!! Probably sitting in Dr Doug's lap moochin beer...

    ReplyDelete